According to the EPA, transportation accounts for the highest amount of greenhouse gas emissions in the U.S., coming in at 28%. At a time when more people are opting to travel via car and train, whether due to the ongoing pandemic or they’re being mindful of their carbon footprint – the Hot Girls wanted to compare the energy cost of traveling. We decided to compare a trip from New York City to Chicago using planes, trains, and automobiles.
To make a viable comparison between the transportation options available, we’re setting the constant as 75% capacity of passengers (pax).
|The Means||Honda Fit or|
|Amtrak 49 |
Lake Shore Limited
|LGA -> ORD |
Embraer 170 Jet
|Time Traveled||12 hrs |
|22 hrs |
|No. of Pax||3||40||225||52|
|Fuel Consumption||40 mpg (Highway)||6 mpg||2.3 mpg||9.3lbs/mile|
|Pounds of CO2*||19.4|
(Miles Traveled / Miles per gallon) x Pounds of CO2 per gallon/Number of Pax
- (790.5 / 40 mpg) = 19.7625 x 19.4lbs = 383.3925 / 3 = 127.7975 per pax
- (980 / 6) = 163.333333 x 22.40lb = 3,658.66666 / 40 = 91.4666665 per pax
- (959 / 2.3) = 416.956522 x 22.40lb* = 9,339.82609 / 225 = 41.5103382 per pax
- (9.3lb/mi x 733) = 6,816.9lbs
- We need to convert Jet fuel pounds to gallons. 1 gl = apprx. 6.67 lbs of jet fuel
- 6,816.9/6.67 = 1,022.02399
- 1,022.02399 x 21.10lb/gallon* = 21,564.7061 / 52 pax = 414.705887 per pax
Keep in mind, this comparison is based on the travel distance between New York City and Chicago. Efficiency rises with specific modes depending on the length of distance covered. Air travel ranks the worst among all the modes, but its efficiency can improve over longer distances. Typically, most people factor in the travel time, cost and comfort when making their transportation arrangements. While train travel is comfortable and the most efficient, it’s not always the most affordable, plus that extra 16 hours and 40 minutes can cut into your tourist activity time.
The truth is none of these modes of transportation are the most efficient – nothing will ever beat your bicycle or your feet!
Hot for more?
LISTEN: The Energy Gang